Saturday, February 28, 2009

That darn Proverbs

I  came across Proverbs 26: 27 this morning as I was doing my AWESOME Esther study. 

"If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it; If a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him."

Falling into a pit.  Getting rolled over by a stone.  Yep. That pretty much describes me. But this book of wisdom says that I'm not only the victim when this happens, but my own arch rival!  You mean I set myself up for pits?  You mean I can't shift the blame?  I can't make excuses?  This stinks.  Didn't Eve teach us how to do this in the Garden? Excuse me, but I think it's all her fault.  Ok, maybe not.

I was talking to Tara earlier and she reminded me that we never realize we're getting ourselves into messes until after the fact.  I picture myself holding this hot pink shovel fully equipped with rhinestones and all things sparkly.  The tool is pretty.  I give God a glance, a quick thought, and start working.  The task at hand isn't sin in itself, in fact, it's moral and what I think God would want me to do.  Before I know it, I'm sitting in this not so obvious pit I've dug around me wondering why God isn't blessing my efforts or sometimes it's more like, "how in the world did I end up here?"  As I vigorously dig, I find myself getting deeper and deeper, searching for a glimpse of God amongst the dirt & worms, crying out to Him to rescue me from the pit.   

Proverbs 2:7 offers me hope

"He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones."

So here's my resolve: that I would focused on Him and gain the victory of life and heavenly joy & abundance.  

I don't want to focus on what He wants me to do, where He wants me to go or who He wants me to be.  I want to focus on Him.  Only then will I end up doing what He wants me to do, go where He wants me to go & be who He wants me to be.  

Then maybe I won't fall into those pits I will inevitably dig and will side step those gianormous stones that keep rolling back to me like a determined boom-a-rang with Satan's face on it.

Don't you just love Proverbs?  It's like a big fat mirror that you just can't escape.


7 comments:

Lori said...

I hear 'ya. Sometimes it feels like you're getting slapped in the face when you read the bible. About Proverbs, my favorite verse is Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight."

Dana said...

Thank you! I am currently in a pit, and feel the dirt being shoveled on top of me. ;)

Laura said...

I am loving Esther too. Some of the personal questions have answers that are TOOOOO LONNNGGGG to even bother writing down! I cannot believe how many times I open my mouth and my foot is already there! I just have to keep praying and, like you said, keep my focus on Him. He is so wonderful! I cannot believe He allows me to call Him Father!

The Taylor's said...

I love it girl. Thanks for the encouragement.

stephanie said...

needed to hear this encouragement and reminder right now, so thank you! do you just LOVE the Esther study?? I want to do it so bad! I'm doing the Daniel one right now and it is amazing (just like all Beth Moore's studies) so I recommend it if you havent done it. Also, are you using the DVDs as you go along? I am wondering if I decide to do it if it would be doable w/o the DVD sessions....

riddlefamily said...

Hi friend!!! Came across your blog too.
I thought this was a good take on the Proverbs verse. Sometimes I do what I do because I just know it's what the Lord wants me to do!! Yet I find out it's actually my own plan I'm trying to carry out and that my focus isn't where it should be. Anyway, I'm glad we're studying Esther together!
Oh, and that's the cutest naked baby pic when Annerson is about to get in the tub. Sweet girl!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀
,