Monday, April 14, 2008

Clay Pots

Isaiah 45:9-Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' Does your work say 'He has no hands'?

We studied this verse in Sunday school yesterday and it's starting to make more and more sense to me as I continue to meditate on it today.  I am a potsherd, a broken piece of ceramic tile, worthless, shapeless clay without beauty, significance or excellence. Except for the fact that God has called me chosen as His child.  God has picked me up to shape into something.  Sometimes I don't think I am "shaping" up to much.  I feel useless, defeated or even too prideful to be used by such an Almighty God.  This lesson reminded me of my struggle with pride. Sometimes I don't try as hard as I should to exult Christ and lower myself.  So today I am going to battle against my pride.  I am reminding myself that my life is nothing but a clay pot.  I am going to war with my flesh and calling on the power of Christ to fight the battle against sin.

Jeremiah 18:4-But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

So will I be usable, shapable and moldable today?  Or will I chose my own way, decide what is truth by my own feelings or desires, and turn my eyes away from Heaven? Will I show the world that I need Christ to continually mediate on my behalf between my sin and a HOLY RIGHTEOUS GOD?  

The old hymn states it perfectly

Sin has left a crimson stain.  He washed it white as snow.
He washed it white as snow.  He washed it white as snow.
Oh praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead.
Oh praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead.
Oh praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead.
Oh praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead.

Jesus!  Jesus! You're the one.  The son of God. The conqueror of death. The King of kings.  The sacrificial Lamb!

Thank you Jesus for seeing Your beauty in this clay pot.
 



3 comments:

Laura said...

What a wonderful post. I know just what you mean. Sometimes I can get caught up in the world's view and wonder what I am doing here. I hope that we both continue to seek and find God, just where He has always been, right beside us all the way.

Lyndsay said...

Just stopped by to say hi!

Notebooks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.